Location: Department of Philosophy, University of Delft
Duration: 70 min.
Keywords: philosophy of law, legal theory, ontology, foundationalism, cyberspace, gene patenting, intellectual property, creativity, technological determinism, phenomenology, secular humanism, popular culture, Adolf Reinach, #pdftribute
David Koepsell earned his PhD in philosophy as well as his law degree from the University at Buffalo, where he studied with Barry Smith. He has authored numerous articles as well as authored and edited several books, including Searle on the Institutions of Social Reality, The Ontology of Cyberspace: Law, Philosophy, and the Future of Intellectual Property. He has lectured worldwide on issues ranging from civil rights, philosophy, science, ontology, intellectual property theory, society, and religion. Koepsell has practiced law, worked for Bowstreet, Inc. as an ontologist in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, and taught at the University at Buffalo. He was appointed Assistant Professor of Philosophy at TU Delft in September 2008.
Koepsell and I spend quite some time discussing his controversial views on patenting and copyright, which naturally leads us into the foundations of ethics and law. Despite Koepsell’s largely analytic style, we also touch upon phenomenology and the value of continental philosophy. Since Koepsell was executive director of the Council for Secular Humanism, we also dicuss the culture wars in the US before concluding with the relation between popular culture and philosophy.
Background Information and links related to this episode:
- As usual, you will get most out of this episode if you at least know a little bit about David Koepsell. For starters, have a look at Koepsell’s Wikipedia site.
- Koepsell’s personal Web site.
- Blog dedicated to his controversial book on gene patenting and IP law: Who owns you?
- Søraker, J.H. (Producer). (2013, February 13). Episode 7: David Koepsell (audio podcast). SuchThatCast. Podcast retrieved from http://suchthatcast.com/Koepsell
- Use hashtag #SuchThatCast for tweets, blog posts, pictures and other posts related to this podcast.
Download options :
(please note that iTunes etc only update their episode listing approximately once a day, so there could be some delay compared to this web site)
- Direct download: Episode 7: David Koepsell
(MP3, 34 mb, 1h 07 mins)
(right-click and choose ‘save link as…’ or similar)
- Follow SuchThatCast on Stitcher Radio
(Android, Iphone, Ipad, Palm/WebOS, BlackBerry …)
- SuchThatCast on Blubrry: http://www.blubrry.com/suchthatcast/
- SuchThatCast on LibSyn: http://suchthatcast.libsyn.com/
- Import the RSS directly: suchthatcast.libsyn.com/rss
- Import the XML directly: feeds.feedburner.com/Suchthatcast?format=xml
- Want me to add SuchThatCast to some other platform? Let me know