Location: Hotel Drienerburght, Twente
Duration: 70 min.
Keywords: Robotics, Robot Ethics, autonomous weapons, just war, sociology, science and technology studies, media theory, cybernetics, participatory design.
Peter Asaro is Assistant Professor at the School of Media Studies in the New School for Public Engagement, New York, specializing in philosophy of science, technology and media. His work examines the interfaces between social relations, human minds and bodies, artificial intelligence and robotics, and digital media. His current research focuses on the social, cultural, political, legal and ethical dimensions of military robotics and UAV drones, from a perspective that combines media theory with science and technology studies. Although dealing with topics similar to previous guests Noel Sharkey and Wendell Wallach, Asaro comes at it from a very different perspective – combining a range of different academic disciplines and with an eye to the interaction between technology and complex social networks. He has also been very creative in using alternative outlets for his research, including the movie Love Machine, featuring Daniel Dennett, Rodney Brooks, Hubert Dreyfus and a host of other leading philosophers. We spend most of the episode talking about the dramatic and subtle effects of robotics, when it comes to love, war and labour. Asaro also sheds light on much early work in cybernetics, as well as the notion of participatory design.
Background Information and links related to this episode:
- As usual, you will get most out of this episode if you at least know a little bit about Peter Asaro. For starters, have a look at his Website, featuring background information as well as links to both scientific and public lectures and writings.
- Peter Asaro has also been very active in the media, including…
- Russia Today’s The Alyona Show:
- Al Jazeera’s Fault Lines
- Huffington Post
Cite this podcast?
- Søraker, J.H. (Producer). (2012, October 25). Episode 5: Peter Asaro (audio podcast). SuchThatCast. Podcast retrieved from http://suchthatcast.com/Asaro
- Use hashtag #SuchThatCast for tweets, blog posts, pictures and other posts related to this podcast.
Download options :
(please note that iTunes etc only update their episode listing approximately once a day, so there could be some delay compared to this web site)
- Direct download: Episode 5: Peter Asaro (MP3, 40 mb, 1h 10 mins)
(right-click and choose ‘save link as…’ or similar)
- Follow SuchThatCast on Itunes
- Follow SuchThatCast on Stitcher Radio (Android, Iphone, Ipad, Palm/WebOS, BlackBerry …)
- SuchThatCast on Blubrry: http://www.blubrry.com/suchthatcast/
- SuchThatCast on LibSyn: http://suchthatcast.libsyn.com/
- Import the RSS directly: suchthatcast.libsyn.com/rss
- Import the XML directly: feeds.feedburner.com/Suchthatcast?format=xml
- Want me to add SuchThatCast to some other platform? Let me know