American College of Thessaloniki, Greece
Keywords: Philosophy of computing, Philosophy of mathematics, formal methods, creativity, evolution, Artificial Intelligence, Digital ontology, Computationalism, Church, Turing, Hilbert, Euler, Leibnitz.
This episode is recorded live in front of an audience at the International Association for Computing and Philosophy (IACAP) 2014 conference in Thessaloniki, Greece. The guests are four of the most interesting participants at that conference: Selmer Bringsjord, Gregory Chaitin, Mariarosaria Taddeo and Wilfried Sieg. They represent both diversity, all of them having quite different backgrounds and main research area, but they all have a common denominator in logic and formal methods. This forms the backdrop for many of our discussions, in addition to background stories, more or less strange side-projects as well as future hopes and desires. The whole thing was an experiment, but it worked out quite well. I can only hope that the recording can do some justice to the event, although I suspect it may not.
In my usual apologetic way, I should point out that there were some sound issues again. The event took place in a crowded room with an air-conditioner at full blast and the participants had very different volume levels. Software has gotten pretty good at removing background noise, but it does make everyone sound a little “flat”. The microphone didn’t pick up the audience very well, either, so some jokes may seem to have gotten less of a laugh than they actually received.
Allow me to thank the participants for taking the time to join the panel, the audience for contributing, and to the organizer Vincent Müller for helping me put this together.
Background Information and links related to this episode:
- As always, you will get most out of this episode if you at least know a little bit about the panel. For starters, have a look at the wikipedia pages for Gregory Chaitin and Selmer Bringsjord, and the personal pages of Mariarosaria Taddeo and Wilfried Sieg (someone should create their Wikipedia pages!).
- Some representative videos of each of the participants:
Cite this Episode:
- Søraker, J.H. (Producer). (2015, Nov 16). Episode 11: Live from IACAP’14, featuring Selmer Bringsjord, Gregory Chaitin, Mariarosaria Taddeo & Wilfried Sieg (audio podcast). SuchThatCast. Podcast retrieved from http://suchthatcast.com/iacap-live
- Use hashtag #SuchThatCast for tweets, blog posts, pictures and other posts related to this podcast.
Download/Subscribe options :
(please note that iTunes etc only update their episode listing approximately once a day, so there could be some delay compared to this web site)
- Direct download: Episode 11: Live from IACAP’14, featuring Selmer Bringsjord, Gregory Chaitin, Mariarosaria Taddeo & Wilfried Sieg (MP3, 40 mb, 71 mins)
(right-click and choose ‘save link as…’ or similar)
- Follow SuchThatCast on Stitcher Radio
(Android, Iphone, Ipad, Palm/WebOS, BlackBerry …)
- SuchThatCast on Blubrry: http://www.blubrry.com/suchthatcast/
- SuchThatCast on LibSyn: http://suchthatcast.libsyn.com/
- Import the RSS directly: suchthatcast.libsyn.com/rss
- Import the XML directly: feeds.feedburner.com/Suchthatcast?format=xml
- Want me to add SuchThatCast to some other platform? Let me know