Guest: Noel Sharkey
Location: Hotel Drienerburght, Twente
Duration: Appr. 65 min.
Keywords: Robotics, Robot Ethics, Artificial Intelligence, autonomous weapons, just war, Policy making.
Noel Sharkey is Professor of Artificial Intelligence and Robotics, and Professor of Public Engagement at the University of Sheffield. He holds a Doctorate in Experimental Psychology and a Doctorate of Science, and lectures extensively across academic disciplines, including engineering, philosophy, psychology, cognitive science, linguistics, artificial intelligence and computer science. In addition to having published well over a hundred academic articles and books, Sharkey has worked closely with policy makers and the military to create awareness about the limitations of AI and the dangers of automated warfare. In addition to several media appearances (see below), Noel may be best known to some of you from his appearances as an expert on the BBC television series Robot Wars and Techno Games.
We spend most of the episode talking about the dangers of autonomous robots in the battlefield, but we also get a glimpse into Noel’s multifaceted and unconventional background. The conviction, honesty and sense of urgency Noel brings to the table is important and contagious, so I hope it’ll prove inspiring to many of you as well.
Background Information and links related to this episode:
- As usual, you will get most out of this episode if you at least know a little bit about Noel Sharkey. For starters, have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Sharkey (which also links to several interviews)
- Noel’s homepage, with more background information and publications.Noel Sharkey has been very active in the media, including…
- Jon Stewart’s daily show:
|The Daily Show with Jon Stewart||Mon – Thurs 11p / 10c|
|Future Shock – Roombas of Doom|
- BBC Newsnight
- BBC’s ‘Bright sparks‘
Cite this podcast?
- Søraker, J.H. (Producer). (2012, October 1). Episode 4: Noel Sharkey (audio podcast). SuchThatCast. Podcast retrieved from http://suchthatcast.com/Sharkey
- Use hashtag #SuchThatCast for tweets, blog posts, pictures and other posts related to this podcast.
Download options :
(please note that iTunes etc only update their episode listing approximately once a day, so there could be some delay compared to this web site)
- Direct download: Episode 4: Noel Sharkey (MP3, 37 mb, 1h 3mins)
(right-click and choose ‘save link as…’ or similar)
- Follow SuchThatCast on Itunes
- Follow SuchThatCast on Stitcher Radio (Android, Iphone, Ipad, Palm/WebOS, BlackBerry …)
- SuchThatCast on Blubrry: http://www.blubrry.com/suchthatcast/
- SuchThatCast on LibSyn: http://suchthatcast.libsyn.com/
- Import the RSS directly: suchthatcast.libsyn.com/rss
- Import the XML directly: feeds.feedburner.com/Suchthatcast?format=xml
- Want me to add SuchThatCast to some other platform? Let me know